The freelance market grew 63% in 2015, with 42% being creative roles. Experts even suggest that the self-employed sector will outgrow the public-sector workforce by 2018 [*European Forum of Independent Professionals, "Future Working Report"]. The South African market, especially under the 25-year-old sector, is growing at almost 60% [The state of global youth entrepreneurship]. This short course delivers the fundamental best business practices to the creative and digital freelancer that has learned practical skills in their chosen field but lacks the knowledge to grow their own revenue, retain clients, market themselves and deal with their own clients in a professional manner. The course will focus on core elements of strategy, accounting for small businesses (including taxes and governance), sales and marketing, account management, pricing and costing, project management and systems.
Who Should Attend
Freelancers or employees who are ready to make the leap to independent professionalism.
The Course Covers
- Freelance fundamentals
- Goal setting and growth
- Business strategy and the details of HR, sales and marketing strategies, and risk analysis
- Accounting, financials, bookkeeping, taxes and pricing
- Human resources
- Sales and a practical application of pricing, establishing budgets, proposal writing and purchase orders.
- Sales strategy: building and executing a sales strategy, using a CRM system, and measuring sales cycles
- Strategic account management: managing client expectations, taking and interrogating briefs, retaining clients and handling reverts
- Marketing, networking and building brand equity
- Systems, procedures and project management: producing standard operating procedures, using and integrating applications, and creating project management
How will I benefit?
This short course will develop your ability to implement every step in building your freelance business into a sustainable vehicle that will give you sound financial income and stability as well as the rules to engage with other freelancers, suppliers and clients. By doing this Mini MBA for Freelancers you'll not only discover your own hidden motivations for being a freelancer, but you'll also discover what you want for your business. Do you want to stay small, or grow into an agency yourself? We'll teach you how to achieve your freelance dreams.
The Mini MBA for Freelancers course work has been developed over many years by business consultants that specialise in the marketing, media, digital and communications industries.
On completion of the short course you will be able to:
- Understand freelancing as a business and how to grow your business to give you the freedom you want
- Know how to set business and personal goals and define your growth
- The art of strategy
- The basics of bookkeeping, financial statements, pricing and management reports
- Everything you need to know about human resources (HR)
- Master your sales and your own sales strategy
- What your strategic account management plan should look like
- How to do your own marketing
- Putting systems in place (i.e. time-keeping, production, CRM and more)
- Understanding procurement and supplier relationships
By the end of the course you will know what your business does and what makes it unique, how to find new and retain old clients, how to manage all the numbers in your business and have a clear road to growth that you have personally defined.
*Vega reserves the right to cancel a particular short course based on low enrolments.