The IIE Higher Certificate in Creative Development is an entry level qualification to gain the insight, skill, and academic support required to pursue degree studies in the fields of design, brand communication and brand management. The focus is on building awareness around creative concept development and critical thinking skills in preparation for studies in Graphic Design, Copywriting, Digital Design, Interior Design, Game Design and Strategic Brand Communication. This certificate provides an introduction to the Creative Brand Communication and Design industry ensuring students are prepared to enter a relevant degree or the industry as an apprentice. The Higher Certificate in Creative Development provides a range of modules that develop academic literacy and digital literacy skills required in an academic and industry environment. Modules combine theoretical as well as practical application, with an introduction to real-world experience.
- Visual and Media Literacy
- Applied Communication Techniques
- Digital Media A
- Brand Business Principles and Fundamentals
- Creative Development and Design A
- Creative Development and Design B
- Work Integrated Learning
Electives: Digital Media B OR Introduction to Quantitative Thinking and Techniques (for students who want to use this qualification as a pathway to Game Design to fulfil the mathematical requirements for entry)
IIE-Vega does not require a portfolio as part of the application process to study design. That’s because our primary focus is on how our students think and how collaborative they are as creative solution seekers. The development of an industry-ready portfolio becomes a core focus once you enrol and engage hands-on with any one of our design programmes.
You are welcome to make an appointment with your campus Contact Navigator if you are not sure which design course would suit you best. Ideally you should attend one of our GenV workshops at any of our IIE-Vega campuses to explore the different programmes on offer.
First year fee for new registrations starting in 2024
R80 600 Full Settlement Total Fee
R86 400 Instalment Total Fee (10 Monthly Instalments)
A *Pre-Registration Fee of R2 500 is included in the Total Fee
*Refundable if admission criteria for the qualification is not met.
- Applications for the 2024 intake are subject to a non-refundable late application fee of R1750.
- You will be required to complete a new contract annually which will include fees for that year.
- Returning students can consult the bill of costs on the website to obtain their 2024 fees based on their basket of modules.
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Higher Certificate admission - A minimum of 30% for English is required ; OR
- A National Certificate (Vocational) NC(V) with Higher Certificate admission – A minimum of 40% in English OR
- A Senior Certificate (SC) (without endorsement) 33.3% in English ; OR
- A Senior Certificate (Amended) SC(A) with Higher Certificate Admission - A minimum of 30% in LOLT in NSC/ SC(a) OR with a min. of 33.3% in SC; OR
- For international qualifications: A SAQA Evaluation Certificate with NSC L4 equivalence with at least 30% or equivalent for English
Senate Discretionary Admission
Mature Age Exemption:
- Candidates must have attempted the Senior Certificate, attained the age of 23 before or during the first year of registration with three years’ work experience and proven ability relating to the proposed programme as well as adequate communication skills; OR
- Candidates must have attained the age of 45 before or during the first year of registration.
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) – Where candidates do not satisfy the formal admission requirements for this qualification, The IIE may consider an admission application in terms of the Credit Accumulation and Transfer, Recognition of Prior Learning and Qualification Completion Policy (IIE010).
General Education Development (GED) - An USA qualification developed by the American Council on Education (ACE).
- Candidates with a GED qualification may be admitted if they have a SAQA Evaluation Certificate with NSC L4 equivalence, as well as minimum score of 145 out of 200 for all 4 GED subjects.
- Candidates with an OQSF Level 5 or N4-N6 qualifications or combination of N3 and SC subjects, or an NSC (FET Colleges) with N3 subjects may be admitted to Higher Certificate Studies.
Did you know?
- A candidate with an NSC/NC(V) or equivalent, without degree admission who has obtained a registered and accredited Higher Certificate in a particular field of study may be allowed access to Bachelor's Degree in a similar field, subject to meeting the admission requirements.
Junior member of a creative team or further your studies in Strategic Brand Communication / Graphic Design / Copywriting / Digital Design / Interior Design / Game Design / Strategic Brand Management / Digital Marketing / Brand Building and Management.