The IIE Postgraduate Diploma in Brand Building is designed for the student who has an undergraduate degree (NQF level 7 qualification) which is not in brand or marketing communication or management but wants to gain a postgraduate NQF level 8 qualification in the field of brand building. Students from various undergraduate fields are introduced to the concepts of brand and brand building, and the importance of brand communication in growing a business. Students produce a research paper and participate in a ‘live’ brand challenge where they develop and present a brand communication strategy to a real-world client. This programme enables students to enrol for a Master’s degree, subject to meeting the admission requirements should they wish to continue their studies.
- Principles of Brand Building
- Brand and Business
- Brand Contact and Communication
- Channel Planning and Digital Media
- Integrated Planning for Brand Building
- Research Methodology
Brand and Business
The module focusses on the relationship between brand, marketing, and business that guides planning for brand building. Students will consider macro, market and microenvironments, as context for leveraging holistic brand and business strategies. Emphasis will be placed on profiling target markets and determining objectives on which to base strategic decisions regarding brand offerings, logistics, and pricing options.
Principles of Brand Building
Students will develop an understanding of the core frameworks, principles and concepts used for constructing and building purposeful brand identities and architecture. The role of brands in adding value to stakeholders and society will be explored utilising design and systemic thinking to develop innovative brand building solutions. The principles of brand leadership and brand management will be discussed.
Brand Contact and Communication
Students will construct integrated brand communications plans driven by positioning statements derived from brand elements and stakeholder insights. A variety of communication tools and platforms will be assessed, including advertising, public relations, sponsorship, and promotions. Emphasis is placed on practical application in context of a multichannel everchanging communication landscape.
Channel Planning and Digital Media
This module exposes students to the various media channels and platforms available for the practical implementation of a brand communications plan. Both ‘traditional’ and ‘digital’ media options will be evaluated, and a multichannel approach is taken to communicating coherent and authentic brand messages to various stakeholder audiences across multiple contact points.
Integrated Planning for Brand Building
This module provides the opportunity to apply theory covered in all programme modules to a given practical brand building scenario. Student teams will engage in the development and execution of original and meaningful solutions to briefs provided by members of industry. Emphasis is placed on research-based collaboration and ideation to develop practical innovative solutions which could be implemented in the workplace.
The purpose of this module is to introduce students to the process of research and to develop their understanding of the techniques of gathering, analysing, interpreting, and evaluating data. Emphasis is placed on a controlled application of methods and techniques to solve a practical problem in the field of brand building. This module introduces the ways in which the processes and outcomes of research can be constructively embedded within professional practices.
Online delivery includes:
- An online learning system that leads students through the content, prescribed material and activities.
- Online academic navigators (tutors) who are subject experts and maintain the human experience of the learning process.
- Weekly live sessions with your online navigators.
- A dedicated success navigator who supports students throughout the learning journey.
- Purpose coaching pods that enable students to explore and develop their professional identity and potential.
- Our flagship Brand Challenge project – an online transdisciplinary collaboration with real world changes and clients.
- Access to our online information centre and resources.
While you can generally structure your study time as you need, there are scheduled online sessions during which you will get mediated support. Scheduled assessments in the form of online activities, assignments and exams are paced to ensure your studies progress.
What you need in terms of technology, time and materials:
- A reliable internet connection (we recommend 5-10GB of data per month), your own device with at least Windows 7 (Microsoft Office 365 is available as a free download for IIE students), and Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge Chromium or Firefox.
- Prescribed textbooks are available for online purchase.
- Online students need to commit to approximately 20-25 hours a week for online engagement (some of which is after hours) with material and assessments to succeed.
- All final semester exams need to be written at an IIE campus or other approved exam centre.
Please note synchronous sessions generally take place after hours.
To succeed in your online journey, you need to be:
- Self-motivated and invested in your learning journey.
- Disciplined and able to balance studying with work and family commitments.
- Able to direct your own studies, maintaining a diligent pace.
To assist you in succeeding in your online journey, our teaching approach is:
- Student-centric: we facilitate your thought processes to foster innovative ideas and creative solutions.
- Authentic: we use real-life examples and case studies.
- Activity-based: We move your learning forward through applied activities and assessments.
- Discussion-based: we ask you questions and stimulate debate to provoke deep thought and insights about course content.
Total Fee for 1st year modules
R40 000 Full Settlement Total Fee
R42 740 Instalment Total Fee (10 Monthly Instalments)
A *Pre-Registration Fee of R2 000 and *Deposit of R4 412 is included in the Total Fee
Total Fee for 2nd year modules (subject to an annual fee increase)
R20 000 Full Settlement Total Fee
R21 370 Instalment Total Fee (10 Monthly Instalments)
*Deposit of R3 206 is included in the Total Fee.
- Applications for the 2024 intake are subject to a non-refundable application fee of R400.
- You will be required to complete a new contract annually which will include fees for that year.
- Returning students can obtain the 2023 fees from their Relationship Navigator.
- An appropriate HEQSF Level 7 Bachelor’s degree; OR
- An appropriate Advanced Diploma; OR
- An equivalent NQF Level 7 qualification
- Recognition of Prior learning (RPL) – Where candidates do not satisfy the formal admission requirements for this qualification, The IIE may consider an admission application in terms of the Credit Accumulation and Transfer, Recognition of Prior Learning and Qualification Completion Policy (IIE010).
- A SAQA Evaluation Certificate with NQF L7 equivalence in an appropriate field.
- Brand Communications Planning and Management
- Corporate Communications
- Product Management
- Marketing Coordination
- Client Services
- Customer Relations
- Experiential Marketing
Class of 2018
Julia works in the UK as a fundraising and impact executive for a charity in the horse racing industry. “Vega challenged me to think differently and to try new things. I learnt valuable group skills and how to work in a team.READ MORE