Intelligent communicators have the power to transform complex messages into simple stories and meaningful connections. Now the world of digital communication allows these messages to be shared across an array of channels, all reflecting a unique application of words, visuals, sounds and interactive experiences. The IIE BA in Copywriting targets those with a love of language, big ideas, social trends, and a deep-set curiosity for the way people think and behave. This degree develops competencies in writing and producing content for social media, websites, mobile, YouTube, TikTok, radio, podcasts, print advertising, or whatever channel best connects with the chosen target audience. Copywriters are big-picture thinkers and insightful communicators, with the skills to create compelling creative narratives and strategic solutions that make a positive change, build brands and improve the lives of people around the world. As a result, there is a significant demand for talented copywriters in the industry.
If you are a gifted storyteller, endowed with an unlimited imagination as well as the courage to develop brave ideas, this might be the career opportunity you have been seeking. The IIE BA in Copywriting explores critical thinking and creative writing to develop comprehensive skills in copywriting and content creation. It focuses on fostering the crafting capabilities required to produce meaningful strategic messages and rewarding creative concepts for brand communication solutions.
The unique fusion of critical thinking, complex problem-solving, creativity, branding and marketing sets IIE-Vega students apart, as strategic and entrepreneurial thinkers and leaders in industry. Our philosophy is to unleash the inherent creativity and confidence of our students whilst enhancing their design, business, research and academic skills, in an enriching and rewarding environment.
As part of the experiential component of the qualification, students work in multidisciplinary teams, engaging in real-world brand activations and brand challenges. Action learning is rounded off with the optional Industry Immersion.
All students have unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning, the world's foremost repository of interactive digital media training.
- Copywriting 1A & 1B
- English for Copywriting
- Creative Development 1
- Digital Media for Copywriting 1
- Critical Thinking and Media Studies 1
- Brand and Marketing 1
- Video and Photography 1
- Copywriting 2A & 2B
- Collaborative Design and Copywriting 2A & 2B
- Creative Development 2
- Digital Media for Copywriting 2
- Critical Thinking and Media Studies 2
- Brand and Marketing 2
- Copywriting 3A & 3B
- Collaborative Design and Copywriting 3
- Digital Media for Copywriting 3
- Brand and Marketing 3A: Strategy
- Digital Brand Building
- Introduction to Research
- Brand Challenge
IIE-Vega does not require a portfolio as part of the application process to study design. Our primary focus is on how our students think and collaborate as creative solution seekers. The development of an industry-ready portfolio becomes a core focus once you enrol and engage hands-on with any of our creative programmes.
You are welcome to make an appointment with your campus Contact Navigator if you are not sure which creative course would suit you best. Ideally you should attend one of our GenV workshops at any of our IIE-Vega campuses to explore the different programmes on offer.
First year fee for new registrations starting in 2023
R116 000 Full Settlement Total Fee
R123 800 Instalment Total Fee (10 Monthly Instalments)
A *Pre-Registration Fee of R2 000 and *Deposit of R16 568 are included in the Total Fee.
*Refundable if admission criteria for the qualification is not met.
- Applications for the 2024 intake are subject to a non-refundable application fee of R700.
- You will be required to complete a new contract annually which will include fees for that year.
- Returning students can obtain the 2023 fees from their Relationship Navigator.
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Degree admission- A minimum of 30% for English; OR
- A National Certificate (Vocational) NC(V) with Degree admission – A minimum of 50% in English; OR
- A Senior Certificate (SC) (with endorsement) with 33.3% in English
- A Senior Certificate (Amended) SC(A) with degree admission- A minimum of 30% in LOLT in NSC/ SC(a) OR with a min. of 33.3% in SC; OR
- Alternatively, a cognate Higher Certificate or cognate 240 credit Diploma OR an Advanced Certificate OR 360 credit Diploma may satisfy the minimum admission requirements to degree studies. If discipline not cognate at least 20% of credits must be academic literacy or numeracy related.
- For international qualifications: An USAf Exemption Certificate is required and meeting the relevant English requirements.
Senate Discretionary Admission
Mature Age Exemption: A USAf Exemption Certificate is required
- Candidates having attained the age of 23 before or during the first year of registration with a Senior Certificate with a minimum of 40% in at least four higher or standard grade subjects, at least three of which shall have been passed simultaneously and one of which shall be a recognised higher grade subject; OR
- Candidates must have attained the age of 45 before or during the first year of registration.
- An USAf exemption Certificate is required.
Senate Discretionary Mature Age Admission for students with a Senior Certificate with endorsement
- Candidates 23 years and older at point of registration, with an endorsed Senior Certificate can be accepted on a senate discretionary mature age admission if they do not meet the additional admission requirements. Their academic progress will be tracked and reported at Senate. An USAf Exemption Certificate is not required.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- Where candidates do not satisfy the formal admission requirements for this qualification, The IIE may consider an admission application in terms of the Credit Accumulation and Transfer, Recognition of Prior Learning and Qualification Completion Policy (IIE010).
USAf approved cognate foundation programme
- Candidates who have completed an USAf approved cognate foundation programme from a registered and accredited provider may be admitted.
- An USAf Exemption Certificate is required - the Office of the Registrar will facilitate, on behalf of the student, an application for degree admission to USAf, once the student has provided proof of payment to USAf.
- Candidates who have successfully completed at least 120 credits on the first year of a cognate degree may be admitted. However, if a student completed less than 120 credits, the admission criteria on the NSC or equivalent apply.
- Candidates with an OQSF Level 5 cognate qualification may be admitted, provided the OQSF qualification has at least 120 credits at NQF Level 5. An USAf Exemption Certificate is required - the Office of the Registrar will facilitate, on behalf of the student, an application for degree admission to USAf, once the student has provided proof of payment to USAf.
- Creative Director
- Content Writer
- Content Strategist
- Strategic Director
- Social Media Manager
- UX Writer
- Brand Journalist
- Digital Marketer
- Online Community Manager
- SEO Writer